29 years-old Scottish star Ryan Fraser sends a four-words message as his late strike fires Saints to fifth in the Championship table…

In a thrilling encounter, substitute Ryan Fraser’s late and dramatic goal secured Southampton a 2-1 victory in the Sky Bet Championship against Hull.

The 20th-minute opener by Will Smallbone put the home team in a challenging position, as Southampton, under the management of Russell Martin, began to find their form.

Nevertheless, Hull had been the stronger side before Smallbone’s goal, and they deservedly equalized through Liam Delap just five minutes later.

The final score didn’t quite reflect the game, as both teams had numerous half-chances in a match that saw action in both penalty areas, creating an exciting spectacle.

Hull’s head coach, Liam Rosenior, may be disappointed with the result, as his team has only won once in their last seven matches. Late pressure from Southampton in the dying moments of the game allowed Ryan Fraser to score with almost the final kick of the match.

Both Rosenior and Martin may not have appreciated the open nature of the contest, but it undeniably made for an entertaining match.

The early excitement was evident when former Southampton defender Alfie Jones carelessly gave the ball away on the right. Stuart Armstrong passed to Smallbone, whose long-range shot was deflected and well saved by Ryan Allsop. However, Allsop was unable to prevent the opening goal three minutes later.

Kyle Walker-Peters outmaneuvered Jaden Philogene a bit too easily, cutting the ball back to the unmarked Smallbone, who calmly placed the ball into the bottom left corner of the net.

Hull responded swiftly, particularly on the flanks, and managed to equalize soon afterward. Although Southampton appeared well-positioned to defend, an advancing Scott Twine caught them off guard with a whipped cross from the right. Philogene’s initial attempt fell kindly to Delap, who powered the ball home from inside the six-yard box.

Despite expectations of a response from Southampton, Hull were the dominant side before half-time.

The hosts continued their strong play in the second half, with Philogene and Tyler Morton coming close to scoring during a frenzied counter-attack, but they were denied by resolute last-ditch defending.

Southampton, however, remained competitive and almost punished Hull’s deep-lying defensive setup when Stuart Armstrong narrowly missed the target from long range. Adam Armstrong then set up Carlos Alcaraz, whose instinctive strike was met with a strong right-handed save by Allsop.

Delap also had an opportunity to do better, but the Manchester City loanee found himself short on fuel and ideas in a one-on-one situation, despite the challenging angle, with Gavin Bazunu.

Ryan Fraser leaves it late to fire Southampton to victory at Hull

In contrast to the earlier action, the final half-hour of the match was played at a relatively slower pace. Southampton, who were now unbeaten in four matches, finished the game more strongly, with Smallbone being denied once again by Allsop in the closing moments.

However, as the game appeared to be heading for a draw, Fraser, who came on as a substitute in the 84th minute for Stuart Armstrong, seized the perfect moment to open his scoring account for Southampton. Flynn Downes played a crucial role with an excellent low cross from the right, and the Newcastle loan signing found the perfect finish to elude Allsop and secure the win.


Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.